Last night, I decided to cook for H. Using Epicurious, I whipped out 2 dishes with minor changes – Spanish-style Chicken with Saffron Rice (Arroz con Pollo) and a Four-cheese pasta with brocolli. To make sure we had something to eat, I also fried cheese sausages. Turned out, they weren’t total failures. The Arroz con Pollo (minus the Saffron) turned out quite tasty. The chicken was really juicy and was able to absorb the juices brought about by the mixture of the rice, peas, paprika, chicken broth and tomato sauce. I also loved the rice and couldn’t help having a few bites at it despite being on that no carb diet. The 4-cheese pasta turned out to be a 2-cheese one (cheddar and parmesan) and paired off quite nicely with the cheese sausages. We paired the
whole dinner with a bottle of a French Red Table Wine. Nice and lovely! Till my next cooking adventure. 🙂
4-Cheese Pasta w/ Brocolli
You can use cauliflowers as a substitute. This is a perfect vegetarian dish also.
1 1/4 cups skim milk
2 tablespoons light cream cheese
1 1/2 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
3/4 cup shredded cheddar
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
1/4 cup shredded Parmesa
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
4 cups pasta
2 cups chopped brocolli (steamed)
1. In a medium Sacepan, combine milk, cream cheese, flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder and cayenne.
2. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring, until mixtures comes to a slow boil, 5-7 minutes.
3. Remove pan from heat; stir in the cheeses and mustard until cheese melts.
4. In a bowl, toss pasta with brocolli; pour cheese mixture over the top and stir.
Spanish Style Chicken with Saffron Rice (Arroz con Pollo)
1 chicken, cut into 8 serving pieces (I used chicken fillet bought at Save More)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 large red bell pepper
2 teaspoons paprika
2 cups long-grain white rice (I put mine cooked already)
1 1/4 cups dry white wine (Didn’t have this at home so used more chicken stock instead)
1 can diced tomatoes including juice
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
3/4 teaspoon saffron threads (didn’t have this also)
1 bay leaf (I just used the McCormick seasoning)
1 cup frozen peas (I used canned peas)
1. Pat chicken dry and season with salt and pepper.
2. Heat oil over moderately high heat until hot then brown chicken on all sides. Transfer to a plate.
3. Saute onion, bell pepper and salt to taste.
4. Cook over moderate heat until softened.
5. Add garlic, paprika, and rice, then cook, stirring, 1 minute.
6. Add wine and boil, uncovered, 2 minutes.
7. Stir in tomatoes with juice, chicken broth, saffron and bay leaf.
8. Nestle chicken in rice.
9. Cook covered over low heat until chicken is cooked through rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
10. Remove from heat and stir in peas, olives and salt and pepper to taste.